Tuesday, January 18, 2011

...and the never ending exam schedule continues

I have been at MPHS since last Thursday and all I have really gotten to experience is review days and exam days.  While I know this is a part of the job, but I am still anxious to see the classroom for what it's there for.  I did get invited to lunch with the science department today which was fun! Didn't join in much conversation because of professionalism ;)

W is a great CT and I am really excited to mentor under her.  I have not seen her teach (because of the strange week) but I do have a lot of faith and confidence this is going to be good.  Since this week has been a test of key characteristic a teacher must have: FLEXIBILITY it has allowed W and I to have some good conversations.

One conversation we had was about differentiation.  Differentiation among classes such as standard/honors/ap  and between stronger/weaker students in a particular class.   W uses some ways of differentiation: in her classes she looks at predicted scores that come with a student (these scores are a prediction done by CMS on how they will do on their EOC aka SOL (for those VA people reading)) and their transcripts and then in her seating charts she sets predicted "high" students with "low" students. This allows students to feed off each other "high" helps "low" and in helping retains more.  W within classes does stations for particular topics that help pinpoint different learning styles and teaches to the senses.  W said she would show me different assignment that honors gets vs the standard class because even though there is no "qualifications"/"application" for a student to go into an honors class and particularly if they are receiving the honors credit then they do the work.

I did however get to meet her Advanced Placement class which needless to say is a way different atmosphere than the standard class.  Its a different type of student.  I even tested my classroom management with them because she had to run up to the office after they finished their midterm and students didn't have a task because they just finished a midterm and it was almost time for bell.   Students started playing a game  and a group of 6 just ran across the room out of the blue.  Sounded like a stampede! I announce "listen you can play but you HAVE TO WALK! no more stampeding" and they did! They listened and walked as soft as feathers.  Now this isn't much, but I haven't even had much interaction with them and this is one of the first "HEYS!" I've done.. sooo.. I was impressed.

I feel like this semester I am suppose to learn how to be a science educator.  NOT just a science teacher, my goal for this semester is well of course to get a passing grade b/c without that I am screwed.... but my personal goal: become well-rounded meaning content knowledge, management, flexibility, confidence, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Kristen, you obviously have a talented CT. She obviously keeps up with the profession. Research shows that weak students learn from strong students. That's one reason why some educators don't like ability grouping. I'm glad you got a good response from those students when you had a do a "HEY!"

    ReplyDelete