Thursday, February 17, 2011

I refuse to use red pen....

So the last few days I have been grading out a ton of stuff, Lab Write ups, Warms-ups, Exams with Essays,  and tomorrow the students are turning in bottle ecosystems.  I have been thinking though and personally always had a negative relationship with my graded papers and red pen.

so I bought markers :) all sorts of colors and I enjoy it.  I dont know if the students appreciate my lack of red pen, but I sure do.
My philosophy on grading is to help that student take that piece of work that they put some sort of effort in and then I am going to put an effort into grading and helping them understand why they messed something up.

So why do we have those associations. Red pen meaning you really screwed up or that you always tell a person in theater to break a leg instead of good luck.  Why?  If teachers used many colors for grading all through school would there ever be and association with oh no look at the purple pen or green pen? Its funny all my life I have always thought red = bad/wrong

On the other hand we had a faculty meeting yesterday where a certain guy from central A.B. came and discussed Pay for Performance.  This is something that is not if it's coming it's when it's coming.  In a nutshell all teachers start out at same baseline pay (without taking into account board certification or advanced degrees or time) and based on what your students make on the eoc is what you get paid.  BUT! you are also in some competition with other "team" members with your content area but yet are evaluated on colaberation??? then you are also compared to other schools through out the district???
this is a little disheartening and concerning to me a student teacher who has just started her journey.
hmm questions, concerns, worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment